Resentment and Revenge: Internal Colonialism, the Decline of Fordism and the Trump Vote 2 December 2019 Venue: CSDS, Seminar Room, 6 pm – 8 pm Abstract: The question of why the working class, and…
Le Merian Institute of Advanced Studies Africa (MIASA), l’Institut historique allemand (IHA Paris) et la Fondation Heinrich Böll Sénégal organisent avec l’appui de l’Institut Confucius et de la Direction de l’animation culturelle et scientifique…
Jetzt bewerben: Master Class Digital Humanities »Lexikalische Daten, Digitale Editionen und Normdaten« #DHMC2020
Die Gangs sind zurück, und sie haben sich zusammengetan! Lexical Data und Deutsch-französische Digital Humanities Master Class legen ihre Kompetenzen zusammen, um Ihnen zu helfen, Ihre zu verbessern! Unsere gemeinsame DH-Master Class findet vom…
Fellowship: Binational Visiting Fellow Tandem Program in the History of Migration at GHI Pacific Regional Office in Berkeley. Application deadline: January 15, 2020. (Why migration on a blog about knowledge? See the Knowledge and Migration page on this site.) Reading: Martin Collins and Teasel Muir-Harmony, eds., Making the Pacific: Making Japanese-U.S. Relations: Science and Technology … Continue reading Knowledge Notes
- Fellowship: Binational Visiting Fellow Tandem Program in the History of Migration at GHI Pacific Regional Office in Berkeley. Application deadline: January 15, 2020.
- Reading: Andrea Westermann, “Migrations and Radical Environmental Change,” NTM Zeitschrift für Geschichte der Wissenschaften, Technik und Medizin / NTM Journal of the History of Science, Technology and Medicine 27, no. 3 (September 2019): 377–389, https://doi.org/10.1007/s00048-019-00214-x. Anne Schult shares her thoughts about this piece in the JHI Blog’s Autumn Reading from our Editors.
- Reading: Sarah Thomsen Vierra, “Turkish Germans in the Federal Republic of Germany: Immigration, Space, and Belonging, 1961-1990,” TRAFO: Blog for Transregional Research, March 15, 2019, in which she discusses her new book on the subject. You can also listen to her interview on New Books in Sociology.
- Reading: Martin Lutz, ed., “Migrants and Migration: Germans to North America in the 19th and 20th Centuries,” special issue of Global Histories: A Student Journal 5 (February 2019)
- Conference panel: “The Go-Betweens: Youth, Migration, and Knowledge Transfer,” AHA Session 163 / Central European History Society 8, New York City, January 5, 2020.
Call for submissions: Digital Humanities Master Class “Lexical Data, Manuscript Edition and Authority Data” – DHMC2020
Place: Moulin d’Andé (Normandie, France) Date: April 19-25, 2020Conference website for submissions: https://dhmc2020.sciencesconf.org/ The gangs are back, and they have joined forces! Lexical Data and Deutsch-Französische Digital Humanities Master Class are combining their skills…
Call for Papers: “Entangled Pasts and Presents: Temporal Interactions and Knowledge Production in the Study of Hellenistic Central Asia.” Fourth Conference of the Hellenistic Central Asia Research Network. Proposal deadline: November 15, 2019. HT @hsozkult Call for Papers: “Indigenous Knowledges,” special issue of KULA: Knowledge Creation, Dissemination, and Preservation Studies. Proposal deadline: November 30, 2019. … Continue reading Knowledge Notes
Einander kennenlernen und verstehen, statt neue Mauern des nationalistischen Ungeistes errichten: Deutsche Woche in Italien mit Beteiligung des römischen Max Weber-Instituts
Niemand kann sich im Besitz der Wahrheit wähnen, wähnen schon, aber ob man es wirklich ist, das ist dann immer noch die Frage. Also behaupte ich, dass das Verhältnis Deutschlands zu Italien ein besonderes…
By Tika Ramadhini and Thiago Pinto Barbosa (ZMO) From 20 to 22 June 2019, the Explorative Workshop “Women and the Transregional Circulation of Knowledge, from 1800 to 1950” was held…
Peking University, Department of Philosophy and Religion October 16, 2019, 7-9 pm (in Chinese) In this lecture Franciscus Verellen presents his new book Imperiled Destinies (Harvard University Asia Center 2019). Spanning eight centuries, the book examines the evolution of Daoist beliefs about human liability and redemption and procedures for rescuing an ill-starred destiny. The medieval record portrays a world engulfed by evil, where human existence was mortgaged from birth and burdened by increasing debts and obligations in this world and the next. In the […]
12-14 March 2020, NOIDA, Uttar Pradesh Call for Papers This workshop invite presentations on following themes: Everyday Lives at Work Mapping the Political and Institutional Lives of Labour Movement, Mobility and the Lives of…
Viktor Stoll and Olga Linkiewicz will talk about the role of intellectuals and the power relations in colonial systems of East Cenrtal Europe.
At the “Legacies and Durabilities” table, Filip Herza and Grzegorz Krzywiec will discuss the legacies of East Central Europe as an imaginary and actual space in the colonial system. Find out more in their joint statement.
Justyna Aniceta Turkowska and Maria Rhode want to talk about lesser-known Polish colonial entaglements at their table. Find out more in their statement.
Are you wondering who will be the table hosts and what they will discuss with you
at our next WeberWorldCafé on the Legacies of Colonialism in East Central Europe? Here, you find a short overview of the five discussion tables.
At their table Maciej Górny and Christian Geulen want to discuss with you how knowledge and knowledge objects travel, but also think about the role of local actors and influences from abroad.
Postcolonial Critique: Latin American and Eastern European Perspectivations – Interview with Clara Frysztacka, Jennifer Ramme and Pablo Valdivia
This article is part of the TRAFO series Emerging Topics. Insights from ‘Behind the Scenes’. Today, we put the spotlight on the Explorative Workshop “Postcolonial Critique: Latin American and Eastern European…